The NCTS Guide for Implementers provides guidance for many of the common tasks you need to complete when integrating with the NCTS.
Generate a system credential
Log into your NCTS account and set up client credentials to authenticate to NCTS APIs. This is located within the ‘Clients’ section at the top right of this page.
Set up your own Ontoserver
Get up and running with a copy of Ontoserver that can syndicate national terminology content from the NCTS.
Common tasks include:
- Generating a system credential
- Requesting an access token
- Accessing the FHIR API on the NTS
- Accessing the syndication API on the NSS
- Downloading the Ontoserver distribution
- Running Ontoserver locally
- Loading national content into a local Ontoserver instance
- Interacting with the Ontoserver FHIR API
NCTS Guide for Implementers
Ontoserver technical documentation
Receive updates from the National Syndication Server
To help developers get started, we have provided:
- An open source Java and .NET syndication client implementation which works against the National Syndication Server. This client provides a:
- Command line client.
- Maven plugin.
- Java library.
The NCTS Guide for implementers provides guidance on how to set up Ontoserver to automatically receive new terminology releases, and how to update Ontoserver itself.
Common tasks include:
- Setting up a scheduled job to retrieve new releases
- Updating the Ontoserver Docker container
Java syndication client
.NET syndication client
Access the National Terminology Service
To help developers get started, we have provided example REST requests in a Postman collection. These are intended to demonstrate how to integrate with the NCTS, including:
- CodeSystem Search to list all SNOMED CT-AU versions available on the server
- CodeSystem Lookup to view all properties of a SNOMED CT code
- ValueSet Expand to view all members of the subset
- ValueSet Expand with a text filter
To use these examples, download the collection and environment variables. Import these files into the Postman application and select the NCTS-R4 environment (recommended, latest FHIR version), or NCTS-STU3 environment (previous FHIR version). Then set the following variables within the appropriate Postman environment:
- auth.client_id: NCTS client credential Client ID
- auth.client_secret: NCTS client credential Client Secret
NCTS Postman Collection
NCTS Postman Environment (R4)
NCTS Postman Environment (STU3)